We have built a contemporary Wellness Center
Completed in 2023
Thanks to the generosity of one of our most loyal alumni supporters, the Schmaltz Family Wellness Center was dedicated and opened May 6, 2023. Designed by Voith & Mactavish Architects of Philadelphia, the 6,500-square-foot facility sits on the eastern side of the Dorrance Field House overlooking Crocker Field and provides views back to the St. George’s Chapel and Memorial Schoolhouse.
As part of our ongoing commitment to care for our school community, we:
- Created a wellness center that serves our elite athletes as well as promotes health and wellness among our entire community.
- Added a standout amenity to our overall athletic facility offerings.
- Completed the project in time for the opening of the 2023–24 school year.
We have renovated and restored our historic Memorial Schoolhouse
Completed in 2020
Memorial Schoolhouse was designed by renowned architects McKim, Mead & White in 1923, and built in honor of the St. George’s graduates and faculty who lost their lives in World War I. It holds many memories for alumni as the primary academic building on campus — a place where they once walked through historic hallways with newfound friends and met teachers who would change their lives. Support for this project was enthusiastic — and heartfelt.
As part of our ongoing commitment to care for our campus, we:
- Restored classrooms to their original sizes and renovate the Study Hall to allow for collaboration and multipurpose use.
- Implemented technological advances throughout the entire building to meet the needs of a 21st century education.
- Relocated the Horton Center for Learning to the Study Hall.
- Added elevators and bathrooms to the first and second floors for greater accessibility.
- Preserved the look and feel of this historic treasure, which will resonate with alumni.
- Completed the project in time for the opening of the 2020–21 school year.
We have installed two turf athletic fields
Completed in 2018
In an incredible show of support for our school, hundreds of donors came forth to fund these important additions to our athletic facilities. Of special note was a very enthusiastic fundraising effort by the 1990 boys’ varsity lacrosse team, ISL champions who raised more than $500,000 to name one of the fields in honor of their beloved coach, Arch Montgomery.
Among the improvements made with this project, we:
- Provided dramatically improved playing surfaces for our field hockey, football, lacrosse, and soccer teams — and a remedy to drainage issues.
- Helped SG better compete — both in game play and in the admission arena — with other prep schools that have turf facilities.
- Better prepared our athletes who may wish to compete at the collegiate level.
- Provided consistent playing surfaces for all practices and games.
- Completed the project in time for the opening of the fall 2018 athletic season.