Designed by the architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, Memorial School House was completed in 1923 and was meant to serve as a lasting monument honoring those alumni and faculty who served in WWI.
As of 1919 when the monument was conceived, 80 percent of the school’s alumni had served, according to School Archivist Valerie Simpson, and by the time the building was completed, 15 alumni and one faculty member had died.
“As reported in the school publications at the time, an academic building was chosen so as to form a ‘living legacy’ that would bond all future generations of students to those men who served and sacrificed for the noble cause of defending a free, educated society,” Simpson writes.
Over the last few years, Memorial School House’s slate roof was replaced and its gilded cupola renovated.
The building is slated for additional major restoration in the coming years.
Visit a photo gallery of the collection.