The history of golf at St. George's dates back to 1901 when six holes were laid out on the Hilltop campus. In 1912, The St. George's Golf Club was formed on campus by some enthusiastic student golfers following their winter recess. Prescott Bush '13 was elected President of the St. Georges Golf Club, and students and faculty enjoyed campus golf competitions on the course that wrapped around the Hilltop. Prescott Bush, among his many accomplishments, went on to play golf at Yale and served as President of the USGA in 1935. In 1923, the first St. George's golf team was formed, and the Dragon Golf Team played their first match in Newport against St. Marks School.
Today, there is not a course on campus, but the deep history of golf at St. Georges forms the foundation for today's co-ed team. The St. George's Coed Golf team competes in the prestigious Independent School League (ISL). ISL Golf competes at some of the most prestigious courses in New England, such as Kittansett Golf Club, Concord Country Club, and Dedham Country Club.
The St. George's Golf program has competed strongly over the past years in the ISL. In recent years, the team has placed 3rd and 5th out of 14 teams in the annual ISL Kingman tournament and individual Dragon golfers have achieved league awards such as All-League Honors ISL, Boston Globe All-Scholastic, Boston Herald All-Scholastic, and ISL MVP.
The Dragons home course is 10 minutes from campus at Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club, a 1922 Seth Raynor design. During the spring season, the team practices daily at Wanumetonomy while also utilizing a local, Indoor Trackman Golf facility.