Drury/Grosvenor Center for the Arts
Our 35,000-square-foot arts center opened for classes on Sept. 13, 1999, and remains a hub of creativity on campus.
The building contains painting, drawing, and sculpture studios, including a welding room and ceramics studio; music classrooms and practice rooms; theater classrooms; a computer lab; a gallery (Hunter Gallery); and the 425-seat Madeira Hall theater.
Students may also partake of the arts center’s Innovation Lab, or iLab, to create and build parts and prototypes using the facility’s many resources, which include 3-D printers, CNC equipment, and Raspberry Pi credit-card-sized computers.
The arts center is named in honor of longtime former art department chairs William H. Drury, who served the school from 1915-1953, and Richard Grosvenor, a nationally recognized artist who taught at St. George’s from 1953-1993.
Madeira Hall was named to recognize the exceptional philanthropy of Lewis N. Madeira ’39, longtime member of the Board and honorary trustee, devoted Dragon, and one of the school’s most generous benefactors.
Ground was broken for the building on May 22, 1998, and the building was formally dedicated on Oct. 23, 1999.
Sasaki Associates Inc. of Watertown, Massachusetts, designed the arts center and Dimeo Construction Co. of Providence served as the contractor.