Head of School Michael C. Wirtz
Michael C. Wirtz became the 13th head of St. George’s on July 1, 2023, and throughout his career he has distinguished himself as a thoughtful, community-oriented educator, active in all aspects of school life.
Prior to joining us on the Hilltop, Mr. Wirtz served as the head of Hackley School, a K-12 independent school in Tarrytown, New York, from 2016-2023.
During his time at Hackley, Mr. Wirtz expanded educational opportunities for students, oversaw major campus improvements and worked to build a community where all students feel welcome. Prior to leading Hackley, he spent six years at St. Mark’s School where he served as Assistant Head of School/Dean of Faculty and led the school’s STEM education initiative. Before St. Mark’s, Mr. Wirtz taught for nine years at Concord Academy where he headed the science department and also served as a house parent, advisor, and coach.
Mr. Wirtz began his teaching career at The Montgomery Academy in Montgomery, Alabama, where he taught and coached for two years after transitioning from working as a research scientist at Pfizer Inc.
A graduate of Ohio University, Mr. Wirtz earned his bachelor’s degree in chemistry, Summa Cum Laude, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Lambda of Ohio. He subsequently earned his master’s degree in policy, planning, and administration at Boston University.
Mr. Wirtz and his wife, Hilary, join the St. George’s community with their two children.
- What drew you to St. George’s?
- What are the greatest challenges a school leader faces in today’s world? And what are the greatest opportunities?
- What do you want St. George's families and alumni to know about you?
- You have a passion for science that eventually led to a career in education. Can you tell us about an experience with one of your classes, or an interaction with a student, that helped you affirm your chosen career path?
- As a new head of school, you’ll be learning a lot about St. George’s this year. What do you want to know from students? Faculty and staff? Alumni?
- What is one thing you are glad you learned as a teenager?
- Do you have any podcasts or favorite music you like to listen to? What’s your idea of relaxing (which I imagine is a rare occasion for you!)?
- What’s one thing you hope your children learn from you?
- Tell us something about yourself we might be surprised by, or might not know otherwise.