Snapshots of St. George's
The Zamboni and the lobbies at the Cabot-Harman Ice Center were getting tricked out with Dragon graphics yesterday — just in time for the start of the annual Howard Ice Hockey Tournament later today. Both the girls’ and boys’ varsity teams will be playing in the tournament, which runs through tomorrow. Game schedules are on our website. Meanwhile the girls’ basketball team will tip off against Portsmouth Abbey, Suffield Academy and Greenwich Academy in SG’s two-day annual holiday tournament in the van Beuren Gymnasium.
Geronimo broke two records when it completed its 21-day transatlantic journey this past weekend. At 3,031 nautical miles, the trip from the Canary Islands to Grenada was the longest taken by the boat in the 42-year history of the program. It also took Geronimo farther south than it has ever been. It was an amazing experience for the crew, which included eight current students.
This week’s trivia question: The subfreezing temperatures this morning prevented one of St. George’s clubs from performing its traditional culinary favor for students before they departed for Christmas break. Which club are we talking about? The first person to respond with the correct answer will win a coupon for $10 off a purchase in the SG Bookstore.
Speaking of the bookstore … if you place an order before the end of the day on Tuesday, we’ll make sure we get your merchandise to you before Christmas. Thanks for including some Dragon gear in your gift-giving plans!
Save the dates for:
• Our Seoul, Korea, reception, hosted by Mr. Kangki Lee & Mrs. Yoon Kyung Cho P’18, and Mr. Junsung Gwon & Mrs. Jennifer Shin P’17 at Samcheonggak: Wednesday, Jan. 18, at 6 p.m.
• Our Austin, Texas reception: Friday, Jan. 20, location TBD
• Our Charleston, S.C., reception, hosted by Dawn and Bear Dyke ’87: Thursday, Feb. 2, at the Mira Winery Tasting Room, from 6-8 p.m.
• The Alumni Hockey Game: Saturday, Feb. 25, at 2 p.m.
• Our Palm Beach, Fla., reception, hosted by Christopher and Binkie McSweeney Orthwein ’94, at the Sailfish Club of Florida: Wednesday, March 1, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Our Boston reception, hosted by George and Kathy Putnam P’11 at the Somerset Club: Thursday, April 6, from 6-8 p.m.
• Our Washington, D.C., reception, hosted by Tucker ’87 and Susie Carlson ’87, P’15 ’18: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Our Bermuda reception, hosted by Calista and Jamie Todd P’18, at the Bermuda Yacht Club: Tuesday, April 18, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Our Glen Cove/Locust Valley area reception, hosted by David and Lisa Scully ’81 P’15, ’18, ’19: Thursday, April 27, 2017, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Alumni Weekend 2017: May 19-21, 2017
To RSVP, or for more information about any of these events, email us at email@example.com
“Greetings from the Hilltop” is sent to our community every Friday.
You can manage your email subscriptions any time.