Smith College graduate Kimberly Drew ’08 reached new heights of notoriety when she became the subject of this “At the Museum” feature in next week’s New Yorker magazine — classic New Yorker illustration and all (right). Kimberly, the social media manager for the Metropolitan Museum, has spent the last few years championing contemporary black artists through her personal Instagram, @MuseumMammy, which has more than 98,000 followers, and her Black Contemporary Art Tumblr, which has been called “one of the most comprehensive collections of black art online.”
Conservative libertarian Tucker Carlson ’87, P’15, ’18 (right) was in high demand this week. The Fox News talk show host and co-founder of The Daily Caller was a guest on NPR’s “Morning Edition” Monday to discuss the state of the G.O.P. in advance of the Republican National Convention. A weekend co-host of “Fox & Friends,” Tucker also joined the Fox weekday crew in Cleveland for its convention coverage.
Visitors to campus this week:
The 2016 Newport Folk Festival begins today at Fort Adams. Best of luck, producer Jay Sweet ’88! Want to listen to the festival? Tunein.com is offering an audio live stream at http://tunein.com/radio/Newport-Folk-Festival-p400295/. SG piano teacher Lois Vaughan plays Bridgefest with her quintet on Tuesday at the Canfield House. Bridgefest, another celebration of music managed by Jay’s Newport Festivals Foundation, is meant to “bridge” the gap between the Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals.
- Carl Welshman ’57 (right) was on campus Wednesday to upgrade a lighted nautical chart he made and donated to the school upon his 50th reunion in 2007. Carl’s company, Harbour Lights, produces maps of any shoreline area, adding lights to mark navigational landmarks. For St. George’s map of Narragansett Bay, he added a special light to mark the Chapel. We love and appreciate this gift to the school, which will be on view in the new Academic Center this fall.
- Harry Fisher ’53, a retired travel agent from Boston, visited campus with friends and his grandson, Jacob. The group had driven over to the Hilltop after touring the Battleship Massachusetts, on which Harry once served, in nearby Fall River, Mass. Director of Alumni Relations Bill Douglas said hello and welcomed Harry back to SG on the West Steps. Of his St. George’s experience, Fisher said, “It was the best thing that ever happened to me.”
Rising fifth-former Ainsley Weber ’18 (right) took first place in the Women 4.5 Singles division of the Newport Steamer Squash Tournament held here in the Hoopes Squash Center last weekend. Former Dragon squash players Mike Kelly ’15 and Schuyler Livingston ’07 were also back on the Hilltop for the tournament. Mike, who now attends St. Lawrence University, worked as a volunteer. Schuyler also played in the Women 4.5 Singles division, in front of her family: brother Sam Livingston ’10, mom Mary and dad Dunbar Livingston ’68.
Seven SG athletes were honored in the Providence Journal this week as Spring Independent All-Stars: A.J. Chicharro ’19 (golf), Will Logue ’16 (sailing), Erika Martin ’16 (softball), Harry Shepherd ’16 (tennis), Jonathan Tesoro ’16 (lacrosse), Irem Tural ’18 (track & field) and Josh Winkler ’16 (baseball). Great job, all!
Congratulations to Tim Everitt P’17, who was the first to reply with the correct answer to last week’s trivia question about the “Modern Family” actor who addressed students at a Women in Leadership event this past spring: Julie Bowen ’87. Thank you to all who replied. Try again!
If you like “Where’s Waldo,” you’ll like this week’s trivia question, which has a truly Hilltop theme: Be the first to tell us where this is on campus (right, but click on the link to view a larger photo) and you’ll win a coupon code for any purchase in our online school store. Be as specific as possible — and good luck!
Save the dates for:
• Our Nantucket reception: Thursday, Aug. 11, at 6 p.m. (Please RSVP to email@example.com)
• Our Greenvale Vineyards reception in Portsmouth, R.I.: Thursday, Sept. 15, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Our annual NYC reception for alumni and parents at the New York Yacht Club: Tuesday, Nov. 1.
• Middlesex Weekend and Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony: Friday-Saturday, Nov. 11-12
• Alumni Weekend 2017: May 19-21, 2017
To RSVP, or for more information about any of these events, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org